A caring ethos underpins our whole curriculum
Children are at the centre of our curriculum. We believe that everyone works best in a climate where they feel comfortable, secure and happy. These conditions are essential if children and adults are to give their best.
We aim to provide a curriculum which is relevant, motivating and is fundamental to all learning.
The aim of the curriculum at DPS Mahendragarh is designed to provide the best learning opportunities for our children to enable them to be:
- Successful learners, who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve success.
- Confident individuals who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives.
- Responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society.
Communication Language and Literacy(English & Hindi)
- We value, acknowledge and positively respond to any appropriate attempts, by our pupils, to communicate.
- Every child is enabled to communicate using appropriate systems and a variety of approaches: e.g. intensive interaction, directed and non-directed play, etc.
- Our pupils should develop a desire to communicate through fun and motivating activities.
- Individualised communication are tailored to the child's own needs e.g. signs, symbols, speech, communication aids, etc.
In Nursery and Preparatory Classes, pupils are encouraged to develop early reading and writing skills through a mixture of formal teaching and self-selected activities. English skills are incorporated into all of the work that the children do with the aim of teaching them the joy and importance of language through relevant and stimulating tasks.
In the Junior section, children have at least one hour of English each day during the Literacy Hour. This includes writing, reading and spelling. Most children begin to learn to read and write soon after starting school. From the start, we emphasise the development of spoken and written English. We regard the acquisition of reading and writing skills as a priority.
- A sensory approach is used to inspire a joy of reading and enjoyment of books.
- Pre-reading and writing skills are taught using a wide variety of means eg. Messy play, directed play, looking skills, anticipation etc.
- Story materials are presented in a wide variety of formats: eg. Sensory story, story sacks, interactive whiteboard etc.
- Educational visits are used to provide exciting learning experiences within humanities and also to teach the whole curriculum.
- We maintain and/or stimulate pupil curiosity, interest and enjoyment in science.
- We enable pupils to be familiar with scientific knowledge, principles and vocabulary.
- We enable pupils to see science in a wider context of knowledge.
- We provide daily experiences to promote mathematical development in line with the Early Learning Goals and the National Curriculum.
- To develop a progressive understanding of mathematical concepts, skills and attitudes.
- Children generalise mathematical skills i.e. use money in shops, weight in food technology.
- Practical problem solving is embedded all areas of the curriculum.
- We teach mathematics in a creative way using the latest technology and aids.
Art and Craft
- Art and Craft provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and offers a way for pupils to respond to the world around them.
- Most children respond positively to music. It can provide motivation to communicate and participate.
- Throughout each child's time at DPS Mahendragarh opportunities will be available for a variety of indoor and outdoor games; horse riding, swimming and so on.
- One off active events are organized on a class level and Inter House level along with an annual sports day.
Memories of school field trips are among the most prominent of the formative years, largely because they are a welcome break in the routine for both students and teachers. While their purpose is essentially to educate, they can also be a fun bonding experience for everyone involved.
Field trips, a popular activity for all students, are regularly organized by DPS Mahendragarh. No matter how old they are, kids love to explore new places with their friends. A journey undertaken by the students to a place away from their normal environment provides them with an opportunity for observation for education, or to provide students with experiences outside their everyday activities, such as going camping with teachers and their classmates.
Our students at every level enjoy going to various field trips organized by our teachers throughout the year. Our students enjoy every part of their trip while significant learning takes place simultaneously. Such trips reinforce what a teacher has been teaching in class about a subject and help students understand the topic better.
Learning through Activities
At DPS Mahendragarh, we integrate a wide range of creative activities within our overall educational programme. We consider that artistic and cultural activities to be very important with regard to the harmonious development of the total personality. Every child at DPS Mahendragarh has vocal, dance, yoga, games and sports, art and craft as part of the regular timetable. Other activities like dramatics, creative writing, debating, elocution, quizzing and much more also form an essential part of education at DPS Mahendragarh. Excursions and field trips are also a part of our learning experience.